SUBSTITUTE ADOPTED - MARCH 8, 2005
Agenda Item No. 11
Introduced by the Finance Committee of the:
INGHAM COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
RESOLUTION APPROVING A TAX SHARING AGREEMENT WITH THE CITY OF MASON
WHEREAS, through Resolution #04-341 the Ingham County Board of Commissioners has determined that it will not permit the capture of its property taxes within the expanded DDA District of the City of Mason until such time as a tax sharing agreement meeting the conditions of Resolution #95-174 is approved by the Board of Commissioners; and
WHEREAS, the County Controller and the Ingham Economic Development Corporation were requested to work with the City of Mason and the Mason DDA to develop a suitable tax sharing agreement for consideration by the Board of Commissioners; and
WHEREAS, the County Controller and the Ingham Economic Development Corporation are recommending approval of a Tax Sharing Agreement;
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Board of Commissioners authorizes a tax sharing agreement with the City of Mason and its DDA which will allow the capture of a portion of its property taxes from the expanded portion of the District based on the following conditions:
1. The agreement meets the criteria outlined in the current County Policy on Tax Sharing Agreements which are specified in Resolution #95-174.
2. The projects listed in the December 16, 2004 Mason DDA Draft Proposal as “Ingham Court” infrastructure improvements, “Cobblestone Village,” and “Alleyway Improvements” meet the County policy requirements for defined infrastructure projects directly related to economic growth in the district as they were described. The total cost of these projects is projected to be $520,000.
3. The County agrees to the capture of its property taxes from the expanded portion of the District in the amount of $144,447 over the next 20 years; provided however, that the captured funds are to be used solely for the financing and construction of the projects identified above.
4. The agreement may be renegotiated at the request of the Mason DDA if the County changes its Policy on Tax Sharing Agreements regarding the conditions under which it would consider approvals of a tax sharing agreement.
5. The agreement may be renegotiated at the request of the Mason DDA if within the amount of funds the County has agreed to be captured, the Mason DDA identifies alternative or additional defined infrastructure projects it desires to finance and construct.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Resolution 04-341, insofar as it provides for Ingham County to opt out of the capture of its property taxes in the expanded DDA District of the City of Mason, is hereby rescinded if an agreement as noted above is executed between the parties.
ADOPTED - MARCH 8, 2005
Agenda Item No. 11
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Board Chairperson and County Clerk are authorized to sign said agreement upon the recommendation of the County Controller and approval of the agreement as to form by the County Attorney.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the County Clerk is directed to send a copy of this resolution to the City of Mason and to the Mason Downtown Development Authority.
COUNTY SERVICES: Yeas: Celentino, Vickers
Nays: Copedge, Schor Absent: De Leon and Severino Failed 3/1/05
FINANCE: Yeas: Dedden, Swope, Hertel, Thomas, Dougan
Nays: Schor Absent: None Approved 3/2/05